Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Sword Vol. 4 - Air


The final volume in a thus far mediocre series. I wasn't sold on this all the way for the first three volumes. They would go back and forth between over the top action, and boring dialogue and backstory that I could follow, but didn't know why I was. Well now seeing everything come together how it did, I'm totally down with this story, and I'm glad I stuck with it! 

The last volume ended with the "air bender" chick, Malia, going into times square and promising benevolent intentions and kind of calling Dara out in front of the whole world. Dara rushes to lay the smack down on that woman, and boy is it fun to watch. This book takes it's time letting Dara get to Malia, but does it in an interesting way. All the while giving you Malia's history, which in the previous two books I didn't like, because it kind of tried to make you empathize with them, but in this one it just makes her that much stronger of a villain, which I totally dug. When they finally do throw down, it's just as inventive as it has been thus far, except the Airbending sequences weren't all that awesome. When they say she has power over the element "Air" what they really mean is that she can fly, use telekinesis, and shoot lightning. But in this case I didn't mind reading it, because the action was still top notch. Then right when I thought I knew how shit was going down, I'm thrown another curve ball, and I absolutely love it. Where the Luna Brothers' previous two books, Ultra and Girls, ended in a cliff hanger and almost no epilogue, this story does a great job of wrapping everything up, even if it is kind of a sad ending. 

It sucks seeing the book end right when I decided I liked it and that it was worth the ride to get there, but it's better that than it to keep going and dive back into not as awesome land. I'm glad I kept reading, and if you read the previous three and had faith that these two gentleman would pay off, you'll be glad you stuck with it. Or who knows, if you didn't really like the previous books at all, this one might piss you off more. I always say that a bad ending can spoil a great story, and a great ending can save a bad story, and I think that's exactly what happened here. The end made everything make sense up until now, and I think everyone else should give it a shot too! You can Search Amazon.com for The Sword Vol. 4 - Air or you can just click the box below to check out this book for yourself!



Thanks for reading!
James

No comments:

Post a Comment