Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Coliseum of Comics, Orlando FL


So it's been a while since I've posted. That's mostly because I didn't have a camera to take the few pictures I do actually like to take, and because my vehicle situation was a little unstable. Now that those two issues are resolved, more posts! So I'm starting my return post, along with a promise to do so more often, with a review of a pretty sweet shop! This is the Coliseum of Comics in the Fashion Square Mall in Orlando Florida. I've been visiting this shop for a while now, and it's one of my favorites to browse. If there's one thing these stores get, it's atmosphere. As soon as you walk in you're entrenched the comic book sub-culture. There are posters all over the walls, and some amazingly sculpted statues on display throughout the store. You could spend a lot of time just browsing through these things, especially considering they change them up moderately frequently. They also have a few televisions throughout the store playing whatever random nerdy movie they decided to play that day. I've seen anything from comic book movies, to cartoons, to Japanese flicks, to sci-fi films!

Their selection of comics is pretty good. I never have too hard a time finding what I'm looking for, with the exception of a few smaller indie books, and sometimes they even have stuff I haven't heard of, which is really nice. They have the books shelved and separated by their publishing company. I like this better than the books being all jumbled together, and probably the only way I prefer is them being sorted by author. They also have a pretty sweet selection of board games and toys and other things. More so on the board games, but I'll give them points regardless. There's a sizable t-shirt selection too, which is cool if that's your thing...

The one thing that probably stops this store from being my favorite near me is the customer service. Not saying that it's bad, it's just really mediocre. The employees never really look particularly excited to be there, and they'll rarely engage you in conversation. Now if you're the kind of person who can walk up to people and strike up a conversation, then you might have less trouble, but that's not exactly my strong suit. I guess I kind of expect them to be more engaging... Again, it's not bad, if you have a question they're always cool about answering, but I've had little to no random conversations being struck up due to common interests...

So I guess the final verdict is that you should definitely check out this shop! If you're at the fashion square mall, stop by and browse for a bit, and spend some money, because these guys deserve it, but it's not my first choice to make your home store. You know though, second place isn't so bad...

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment