Friday, January 14, 2011

Dark Wolverine Vol. 1 - The Prince



So usually Marvel is pretty good about packaging. DC tends to be the company I give shit for it, but occasionally there is a title or two that Marvel just doesn't know what to do with. Dark Wolverine is apparently that title. The first volume of this book is five issues long. Two of which aren't about Dark Wolverine at all. They're just two issues that couldn't be collected into Old Man Logan, the previous arc in the Wolverine ongoing. So since these two are between old man logan, and Dark Wolverine get crammed here because they have no where else to go, which wouldn't be a big deal if they were given as bonus content, but they're not... The volume after the first is only four issues long. Now this might sound crazy... but wouldn't it make more sense to put all of that into one volume. The two random issues, the first arc which is three issues long, and the second arc which is four issues long? I mean that's a big volume, but then you just charge a tad bit more, and then you have a quality product. Instead of the whole run of this series being broken up and crammed into other books. I'm going to try and read them as best I can, I'm just a tad bit frustrated about it when I have to read and buy other issues I don't want to, and especially so when I have to purchase them if I want Dark Wolverine.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, the actual review of the content and not just how it's bundled: I liked the shit out of this first volume! Now the Back-up, or whatever you want to call it, wasn't as awesome. It's just a two-shot story that's kind of half assed trying to explain how Wolverine is in so many places at once. It doesn't really work, but it is kind of funny to see. Now Daken on the other hand... Now that Daken is in his own series, I thought I'd have reason to go back and read Dark Wolverine, and boy am I glad I'm doing so. This guy is cool as shit. He walks everywhere with this swagger. He dresses like it's noboby's business. He even has small differences in his powers that he uses to their full extent. I was worried before reading this, because I had been warned that his sexuality plays a big part in the book, because he uses it to his advantage so often. I had seen things like this done poorly before, and kind gritted my teeth and waited for the impact, so to speak. But it's really not that bad, and for the most part it's done really well. He's not just randomly fucking people with no regard. He does it when he wants to, and mostly when it serves him. Every thing he does in these first three issues is to serve a purpose, and I absolutely loved it. It's very reminiscent of DEXTER, if you watch it, where every action has an explanation, and an inner monologue that goes with it. And in some cases this kind of story telling could get annoying, but it's kind of the same as it is in DEXTER, if you like the character, you'll like it here. And honestly I don't see why you wouldn't like him. As far as plot goes it's a tiny bit hard to follow, and you have no idea what his true intentions are through the this first volume anyway, but they hint at it once or twice. Basically Daken is going around making as many double deals as he can. He's a double, double, double, double agent. Which really amounts to, he's out for himself.

This book is definitely worth reading, but how is the decision. If you like single issues, this might be one of the few cases, in my opinion, where you might be better off buying it one by one. But what about the rest of the run? You going to buy all 15 issues that way? If you don't mind paying for a full trade where the first two chapters kind of suck, and the last three are really solid, then I say pick it up, because that's how I'll probably purchase it. Especially considering that's how most stories go anyways. Instead of two issues of build up, you get two issues that aren't relevant. Six of one, half a dozen of the other... You can Search Amazon.com for Dark wolverine Vol. 1 or you can just click the box below. 


Thanks for reading!
James

No comments:

Post a Comment